Essential oils can be dangerous. So can cars, bicycles and pools but we still use them. In fact, we let our children use them! We just apply good sense. So we can do the same with essential oils. There are so many benefits to using what nature has provided but as with anything that’s beneficial, there are always some gotchas.
Unfortunately with the Internet and viral posts, it’s likely you’ll hear that essential oils have caused severe reactions, killed cats and caused someone to go blind. For every crazy post, there is just a small ounce of truth. Essential oils should be used with care, but, you don’t need a doctor or specialist to use them. Here are a few safety tips to follow when using essential oils.
- Certain oils are photosensitive, so don’t use if going outside. Citrus oils, for example, are photosensitive so be careful when applying lemon, grapefruit, bergamot and lime or any blends containing citrus oils. Check the labels of your oils for warnings.
- On your skin, always watch for redness and dilute with a carrier oil.
- Dilute oils on children (Young Living KidScents oils are already diluted)
- Do not EVER put oils near your eyes!
- Some Oils are HOT. Oils like peppermint can cause a burning sensation. If you’re placing an oil near your eye, apply with a Q-tip instead of tipping the bottle toward your face. Better yet, just stay away from the eye area. If you do get oil in or near your eye, apply a carrier. Do NOT rinse with water.
- Don’t apply oils to sensitive areas such as eyes (I know I keep repeating this), ears, genitals and mucous membranes. When putting them in a bath, use Epsom salt or an emulsifier.
- To know how and how often an oil an can be applied, read the label.
Internal Use: Young Living has created a Vitality line with distinctive labels so you can easy recognize which oils are safe to take internally. If you’re worried about ingesting oils, realize that most are common foods – lemon, lime, grapefruit, thyme, oregano, basil, peppermint, cinnamon. If you don’t have a problem with the food or spice, you should not have a problem with the essential oil. The FDA has approved Young Living Vitality oils for internal use. Young living guarantees quality through its seed to seal guarantee.
These are quick tips to get started but if you have questions or doubts, I invite you to contact me directly because life can be more complicated than a blog post. 🙂