Why DIY Toilet Bombs? Because there is nothing more gross than an unkept bathroom that smells like you know…pee. It makes a busy mom want to grab a scrub brush and any kind of cleaner to get rid of that funky smell. Unfortunately, most household cleaners contain harsh chemicals that are bad for the health of your family. I prefer cleaner alternatives that are simple and actually do the job better.
A Busy Mom’s Bathroom Cleaning Routine
The first thing I do to get rid of the smell is spray all bathroom surfaces with Thieves Household Cleaner. Thieves is a natural alternative to chemical laden household cleaners. It has a wonderful clean smell and you won’t compromise effectiveness. Find other innovative ways to use Thieves Household Cleaner here.
Next I use my own DIY Toilet Bombs. They do just what the name says. They bomb the mess out of funky toilets, leaving them looking and smelling fresh. Here is how I make them. It is super simple. Remember that I really don’t have time for anything too complex. So trust me that this is easy and effective.
DIY Toilet Bombs Recipe
- 2 cups Baking Soda
- 1 cup Citric Aid
- Spray bottle filled with water
- Large Gallon Size baggy
- 15 drops of Young Living Essential Oils (where to buy)
- Purification or
You can get creative here and try different oils and combos. With 100% pure essential oils like Young Living 15 drops is effective – no need to use more.
- Put the baking soda and citric acid in the gallon size baggy. Zip it up and squeeze the bag to mix the ingredients.
- Open the bag and wet the dry ingredients with the spray bottle as you mix
- The mixture should start to stick. Make sure not to put in too much water or it will fizz.
- Add your choice of essential oils.
- When you have the right consistency, use a measuring spoon to shape the bombs into small balls. You can use other molds – small muffin pans, plastic egg halfs – get creative. Transfer to a sheet of parchment on a cookie sheet.
- Allow the mixture to dry. It should take 8 or more hours.
- Once dry transfer to a glass jar that you can store conveniently in the bathroom.
Try it and let me know how it comes out!